Friday we went back to the doc for another weight check. Bad news...Addison LOST weight. She is down to 6 lbs and 15 oz. She has dropped into the 3rd percentile, meaning that she is smaller than 97% of all babies her age. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/growthcharts/set1/chart02.pdf
Needless to say, we have a new plan. He wants us to continue to nurse at least every 3 hours and offer her 2 oz of formula after every feeding.
It is now Sunday afternoon and she is doing pretty well on the new plan. I have not noticed any big changes except for an increase in gas and spit-up. It seems like I spend more time burping her and cleaning spit-up than I do feeding her. However, it is well worth with it if we can only get her gaining weight.
**Any helpful tips and pointers on the burping and spit up will be greatly appreciated**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ask the dr first, but I think that you can add some cereal to her formula to keep it down.
Lisa, I second the adding cereal. It sounds like Addison might have reflux, (all three of mine did),esp with the low weight and the gassiness and spitting up. Here's some things we've had to do to fight it:
1. Keep them upright for at least 30 minutes after each feeding.
2. Add rice to all bottles to thicken and keep down
3. Let her sleep elevated
4. We actually have been on Prevacid for reflux since early on and will be until they get off their bottle. If they don't take it, they spit up after every bottle.
Good luck! Who is your doc, BTW? Some are more proactive with reflux than others. All the ones at Rankin Children's are good, but especially Van Norman!! Get my number from MEG and call me if you need to. Prayers going up that Addison does well with the new plan!!
We are using Dr. Rolan at Rankin Children's Group. He seems very good. We go back Wed. so hopefully he will have some suggestions.
It is just SO frusterating because we did not have any of these problems when we were using breastmilk only...but, I guess that is not an option anymore! Thanks for the advice!
Post a Comment